Wednesday, February 25, 2009

2 Eggs, 2 Toasts, 1 Tootise Roll

The water from the water camel was starting to get the lower half of my back wet. I placed my ear buds in the correct places as the symphony of screams and thrashing commenced in my ear. With a bit of pressure from my thumb the front door releases its hold on the frame of the house. I step out into the morning as the cold and newly rising sun greets me. It was time to start. I closed the door and started my trek. Down the driveway I descend as the damp lower part of my back cried for attention at the cold beating it was receiving from the morning air temperature. As I round the corner to the mailboxes I notice my mind is dissecting the musical lyrics in my ear. While this is happening, every word or phrase is then applied to my life like a musical word puzzle. I try and ignore it but find that my mind is really what drives me to do anything. Without this wonderful thing I would be dead alive, or maybe just dead. I start to see a slow climb in the road. I approach it with the same feelings I have for anything. I will do what I set out to do. Overcoming the slope was nothing short of too easy. Of course after getting a sudden burst of comfort for my attempt I spy ahead some steep S curves that seem worse then the kiddy hill I just climbed. With a release of thoughts and air I continue with my set goal. That being to reach the general store that is about 2 miles and 40 min on foot. Or was told to me by my google maps application on my iPhone. Morning commuters whiz past me on the two lane road. With no walkway this journey was becoming more of a thrill then exercise. Each step I take feels like I picked up a portly 10 year old, and said I would give him a piggy back ride. My lungs start to burn with freezing air thrusting into them, as I step on the frosted ground below. My body is doing fine. I haven't even warmed up yet. But like before I thought too soon. I tried to move my arm from its resting position of hanging by my side. This proved to be oddly enough like I was fighting gravity the higher I went up the mountain road. I made a brief stop to whip my nose, which really only decides to run when I want to do the same or walk. After making sure my nose had made a sudden stop of its harassment on my breathing, I was caught off guard by a familiar friend. He didn't notice me. Well even the first time we met he didn't either. But I knew him. To me we were connected on another level. As I stared at him I tried to figure out what the level was. All I got was that his name had mine in it and his color was one of my favorites. With a sudden jerk my Bluejay friend flew across the road as if to say welcome to my beautiful world. As he passed more of his kin started to dart across the sky the more I ventured forth. I started to stare at the mountains and how green they were. While others had snow on the tops, some had snow left on the side due to the shady trees. The trees in all their splendor seemed to be exhaling the most fresh and clean air I could only get up here. Step by step with the way the natural eye candy unrolled I could see nothing more better than the moments I just shared by myself. All that seemed to be gone as more cars passed and the grade of the road was getting steep. My mind was playing a game trying to get me to quit. I told myself that I would finish what I started. Then it retorted with a what if you are to tired to go back the way you came? It didn't let me interject as it then said that I may have to ask for a ride home. How embarrassing it chided. I simply gave the retort of a stern parent looking down at a young child. I got there on these two feet, and I'm coming home the same way. That was the end of that mind game. As I started to see the bend where the general store and restaurants would be coming into view. I felt I had reached my goal. I had made it! It was pretty nice too. Well even though my arms felt as if they could only just barely bend. I drew closer to the general store and saw a old log bench. Which to me was put there just so I could sit in it. But I told myself I didn't need to sit, but maybe a swig of water would do. As I quenched my thirst, I began to walk toward the town bulletin board on the side of the store. I gazed at the ads but found nothing of value. I only heard people screaming for attention in a small place that didn't want their services. Looking from side to side it was morning still and it was cold and wonderful. My body was just a little warm and I felt great. Now for the silver lining to this adventure....breakfast! I approached the Screaming Squirrel as it is called and walked in to a warm but talkative room. Three old men were discussing travel. The topics ranged from travel through mountains, on motorcycles, or just driving in general. As I sat, I enjoyed soaking up every word they said. Each phrase and tone painted a picture of the life worn person that sat in front of me. I gazed down at my menu and began to panic. I could only find 6 dollars lying around the house. I was hoping it was enough for me to feast on something. I didn't eat before I left so that I would have more of an incentive to make the long walk. After being assured by the waitress that my meal grand total would be $4.95 I began to love this dwelling a little more. After eating quickly, not due to the fact that I wanted to leave. It more so came about at the amount of food I was given. Not much. I was almost full but I was missing something. I concluded with the remaining change I had left over I would get something at the general store. But as my eyes wanted to pretend this store would be small mountain town magical place. I was brought down to earth at the reminder that this guy jacks up the prices on everything. I knew at the time he had never seen me before, and pacing up and down looking at his items must have made him think I was planning a little theft. I picked a candy and was stung as the man told me it was $0.80 for a regular candy and $1.35 for a king size one. I walked out of the store and made my way to a bench. I read it was dedicated by some family in 1996. I wondered why as I ate my chocolate sin. Would I ever do something like this? I thought no I need every penny I have I thought with a chuckle. When I had finished I decided it was time to head back. With a full stomach and a renewed energy I made my way home. Which to my surprise was 10 times easier and faster then when I started. Mostly because it was down hill. As I made my way from the mailboxes with my mail in my hands from my brother-in-law. A smiled beamed as the CD he burned me I knew was in the soft envelope with my name on it. I continued to smile with my music in the back ground as I thanked God for a wonderful day. I had a great hike, got a CD from my brother-in-law, and I had 2 eggs, 2 toast with strawberry Knott's berry farm jam, and a Tootsie roll. Now all I needed was rest on my couch and to cling to my recently acquired high.

0 comments: