Driving down the road you never know what's going to happen. There could be a pot hole that your tire just hit, or road construction that's slowing your commute. There could even be stupid people pulling out in front of you nearly missing your bumper. But the road just keeps on going. It doesn't hold any anger, prejudice, or keep memory. It doesn't even get mad when you trash it. The road just is and keeps going. Sometimes I wonder if there are certain times in the day the road likes to be driven on. Or if there's a certain season or weather time it likes to be driven on.
We share a lot in common with the road. We like the road don't know what each new day brings. Or who we may meet or interact with. Sometimes like the road interactions are good and some bad. Some people are nice smooth roads just barely paved. Some are old and have divots and pot holes from life's wear on them. Some roads take you places, while some take you in circles. Some people in turn take you further than you have ever expected from yourself. Some people lead you on wild goose chases leaving you frustrated and full of rage. When the fog rolls in on the road it's hard to drive normally and with clear vision. With life when the fog rolls in it's hard to go about life in the normalcy that you have with little to no vision or answers.
When I see the road I see possibilities. I see that is can be more than just what people see it as. The road has potential to hold parades for thanksgiving, marathons for cures, or emergency landing for planes in distress. But others see the road just for what it's purpose is. To get from Point A to Point B. To those who see the road this way also see life this way. To many times we think we know what each thing can do or will do. Never do we look with the eyes of opportunity. We are set in our ways. Someone said this is what this is and this is all that it does. Truth is there are people out there who feel the same way about you. Only problem is the road has no feelings. It doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks. It just is and exists. We on the other hand do. The advantage is that unlike the road we can learn from it's example.
Being a living being with thoughts and emotions we can choose what we do. Like the road we can keep going till we reach the end no matter the distraction. Unlike the road, interactions with others doesn't have to be one sided. Whatever you choose to do is your choice. That was the gift that was given to you. Just remember that when you see the road that you open your eyes to the possibilities of what can. Versus what you've been told. All of this sounds like a lot of jargon to be fair, but really I'm just in the car looking out the window at what if's and reflections of my life. When really I'm just driving down the road.
Friday, April 17, 2009
The Road
Posted by Ted at 2:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you for this. You are a talented man, someone who is gifted with the pen. Believe me Ditto, you touch a lot of lives.
No my friend. I am a foolish man grasping at straws and pretending to understand what I will never know. You on the other hand make my brain actual work and think and see new perspectives. I would peg your writing seen in a paper somewhere I would pick up and read.
Post a Comment