
Maybe the question can't be answered if you don't know who you are. I guess in my own right I can't even say I know who I am. I am ever changing and always trying to fix my flaws. Then I consider the person you see yourself as and the person you really are. In my mind there is a jumble of what makes me up. Or what I think makes me up. But what I think and what people perceive are two different things. In essence I am two different people then. The one persona in my mind who thinks of himself one way and the other is what people see. I guess you could argue that there is a third persona then. The one that meets in the middle. The one that is both people in one. So which of the three is me? Upon pondering on the subject I think well logically it's the third persona. But since I'm using my mind to calculate this question, it tends to be biased. I think the first persona or my mind's eye is the real one. But then what about the persona people see. The one that is my actions. Have I not done things without thinking? Don't actions speak louder than words? Do words not have value with out action? So then the real person is the second persona. And naturally we have come full circle again with me thinking I am both in one.
To wonder such things means, I have too much time on my hands. Well I do. Too much actually. I've been contemplating my existence.
I was made by my Mother and Father seeing a need to not resist the feelings of lust for each other. I can't blame them I did it too when my time came. So a bastard born, left fatherless, growing in the light of poverty and without love. Being raised in the church I was told that I was a Christian. I've always been told what I am. It wasn't till I was in 7th grade when I became Jay. Since then I have learned, fallen, but always kept walking in this new life I had created. But as I sit here a man of 24 years I ponder what is the point?
My friends would say God has a purpose for my life. I would say this is false. I start to reread the scriptures on God's chosen ones and the words he speaks to them. But in reality for me I believe I'm a man who is for God, but in his eyes he is not for me. When I cry out to my creator I hear nothing. When I am beat by life's woes there is no saving grace. To many a time have I wept alone in the dark. To many of times have I walked the road of love and compassion to my fellow man. But alone I am, I now know alone is to be my end. To many times I speak, but no one understands. It's almost like I'm speaking gibberish instead of English.
I have decide that then if logic serves and what I know and read is correct then I'm not a Christian. But you would ask did I ask God to come into my heart and reign in my life? Yes I did. I do love him. But then again I must not. I have not let him take hold of my life. Oh I have once in a while I have, but just when it gets some what normal I take control and say no more God. So then seeing what I am I would deduce that I am a wicked, and evil hypocrite. Yes I do practice what I preach, it's a motto I live by, but I can't let God have control. I believe God's had a enough of me treating him like a whore. I've come to him in peril, or sickness. Then leave and say I don't need you when all is well. I also think that I am living in the reaping. I have sinned and I must answer for it. But I believe that when a choice came and God would have wanted me to do one thing I chose another. In doing so God can do nothing but watch as I destruct myself.
So now as I look upon myself and think of who I am the answers come forth. I'm a ugly, wicked, and a cursed creation, that doesn't deserve to intake air. But what about the 3 persona's? I think I am not any of those three. I am a fourth. The one that is fading away. There is no point in my existence. I could cloud the this theory with work, buying things, friends, but they have become dry sand in my mouth. So the logical choice would be to seek God. When I do, I only bear witness to silence. I feel a closeness with Cain from Genesis Chapter 4.
On a interesting note two days ago I awoke from a dream. The dream was me coming down the stairs. As my eyes drift up to the living room windows the sky goes dark and a flash careens across the horizon. I fall as if someone pushed me down and weep into the hardwood floor. I pray to the Lord to forgive my transgressions to him and realize that I am alone. He has come and gone. I've had other thoughts on this. Like a dream where I am outside a long fence with people standing in a line. I realize in this dream the Lord has come and gone. Again, I am left alone. Sometimes I wonder if it my purpose to remain here. Another thought I've had is wondering if my soul is mine or not. I was at home alone and spoke into the dark to ask to see some pornography on the TV. It was fuzzing in and out on the TV on a station we didn't get. I said to the dark that I would give him my soul if he would make it clear. (Which in hind sight is stupid.) It never happened and I said deals off after a minute of waiting. Now I was young and dumb but this thought haunts me. There is power and danger in what I've done. Just other thoughts to throw into this mental stew.
Who are you? If I see you and speak with you I can decipher that. I can usually see your heart. Which I can't explain. I could only say what it is I see. Who am I ? I don't know. Or I guess the term is Emo. hahahahaha ahhh I'm sick.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Who Are You?
Posted by Ted at 3:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have these things in response to your blog:
-We are always changing, yes that's the truth. But there is a core of us, and that is built up over time, and your actions help define who you are.
-You say God hasn't heard you, hasn't looked on you. Could it be that you haven't been looking or listening right eh? I'm going through a point in life where I discovered I've been pointing in the wrong direction the whole time and without God I would've been way worse off, and now I'm basically throwing my hands up and let God point me in whatever direction, doing my best to learn and hold on. It ain't easy, and I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about, don't lose hope brother.
-Jay, I'm not gonna lie, you ARE emo. I say that with love :)
my turn!
- even if God one day completely forsook you (a question which makes me thankful you read and believe the bible), wouldn't His understanding of who you are be the truest?
- i have asked the same questions about God's much-talked-about and highly vaunted "presence" with us, and received few little to no answer from both God and man. but both Rybarczyk and Dogterom have reminded me in those times it hurts the most, that whatever i feel to be true, whatever seems like reality to me, must be overruled by what i know to be true.
unfortunately that helps only slightly. so God really is here. big deal! what does that even mean?! i can't feel Him, hear Him, interact with Him. sometimes i feel like all i do as a Christian is receive forgiveness and wait for the Last Day so that i can finally feel like a Christian when i can meet the physical Jesus.
but then i remind myself of what first made me seek God, and that's the fact that He requires something of me. and He didn't show me a contract that listed all my earthly benefits if i would submit to Him. He impressed me deeply and, ultimately irrevocably, by demanding (as is His right) that i become completely subservient to Him. and knowing that i had no other purpose, no other true life, no other worthwhile pursuit (and knowing i would never find another no matter where or how long i looked), i said yes to Him. and now my life as a Christian consists of saying yes to Him over and over again (in between ignoring Him and trying to question Him, neither of which has worked out so well so far).
i won't pretend to know what exactly you should do with everything i've said so far, but i will be pretentious enough (or trusting enough of our friendship) to offer this advice, which has only recently been offered to me, yet seems to be exactly what i needed. life said this to me:
"isaiah, you idiot, you cannot be a healthy Christian alone. as a single coal, you can either surround yourself with other coals (preferably ones that burn hotter than you and have enough intelligence and integrity to answer your deep, dark questions truthfully, which is to say, incompletely and yet stil helpfully)... or else you can, as your friend will say so well in his blog post, fade away."
emerging from the cave is difficult for me no matter what the metaphor represents, be it a spiritual cave, and emotional one, a relational one, or even a sinful one. but i find that my task in life right now, despite my pain and bitter confusion caused by God's tangible (yet still only seeming?) absence, is to discover this truth: that if i am seeking a feeling of God's presence, i am not only chasing something i already have, but also i'm chasing something without really understanding what it actually is or why i am chasing it at all. without much regard for how much i miss Him, God seems to be saying, "get over it, throw out your ideas about what you think you need, learn the truth about life and about Me, and then come back to Me with your selfish questions and we'll see how you feel then. in the meantime, quit trying to be a rogue Christian who mostly just demands things of Me, and start submitting to My demands."
and then i fall silent, still confused, still in pain, and still questioning... but i can take some solace in the fact that i am doing what it is i'm purposed to do, which is... whatever God's word tells me to do.
i tried not to be too Christianesey and/or cliche. you can berate me for it if i failed. then at least i'll know you made an effort to appreciate my attempt to say something helpful. =)
No matter how much I reread both of your responses I can't find the light. If anything things have gotten worse. I don't. It's taken me some time to sift through this. I watch as all those around me do there own thing and love life. They don't need God. I need him but I don't think bad enough because nothing changes. I think I'm securing a nice place in hell with my name on it.
Post a Comment